Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New beginnings and hard transitions

What a weekend I had! My son Brian and his wife Yasuko had their first baby. He's adorable! And he entered the world on the same day that my son Wesley got married. I spent 12 hours at the hospital overnight on Friday and still missed Noah's arrival. I had to get some sleep in before Wesley's wedding. Brian wasn't able to serve as a groomsman after all, but fortunately my gregarious son had a waiting list. :)

Today is my phone appointment with EDD. I made sure to do my bit and update the old res for the state-run job board as required. It filled me with dread. I don't want an 8-5. How can I establish myself as a freelancer and keep up with my fiction that way? On the other hand, the unemployment rate being what it is, I don't think I'll have to beat employers off with a stick.

I worked on the new Awesome Lavratt story yesterday, making some major adjustments.

When I gave my presentation on Developing Your Online Presence at a writer's conference last year, one of the examples I used for a good author Web site was Rob Sawyer's. His was the first author site on the Web and is 15 years old today. Every time you visit sfwriter.com, you'll find something new. Go Rob!

I received another Atom goody in my inbox today. This time a parody of District 9 with a World Cup theme. Good stuff.




vote it up!

2 comments:

M Pax said...

Ooo! Thanks for the links. I love the old sci-fi's.

Good luck on the new job. You'll find a way to keep up.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Congrats on the birth of the grandbaby! That District 9 parody is funny.