Monday, April 14, 2008

Science Fiction is for Grown-ups, too!

If I only had a nickel...well, maybe a fiver...for every time someone said to me, "Oh, I used to read science fiction when I was a kid." Or "Yeah, I used to read a lot of it [SF]." I thought it was time I came up with a stock answer for these people. I asked my new friends at Chronicles Network (a SF/F forum) for help. I posted this on a message board on Friday and the discussion is still going on. There are some great ideas. And some of them aren't sarcastic...well, maybe one or two.

How about this one: "Well, maybe you should brave it as an adult. It's been growing up while you weren't looking."

That's mine. It's by no means my favorite. You'll have to hike over to the forum to read the really good ones.

I dance at a Greek taverna whenever I can. I've been asked tons of times (almost every time I'm there, it seems) if I'm Greek. I hate to disappoint, so I came up with a stock answer for that one long ago. "I'm from the Greek Azores." I get some laughs, but also, sadly, some completely blank looks.



So, have you been wondering what to do with that SF hardcover when you're done with it? Well, I keep them forever. But maybe YOU don't. My mother's voice in my head would never let me so much as make a single underline in a book, let alone pull out its pages. But that's me. If I could quiet my mother's voice, perhaps I'd have the nerve to do this. If you click on the link below to Curbly.com, you'll find a how-to video. But what to do for matching shoes??



No comments: